This is historical material “frozen in time.” The website is no longer updated, and links to external websites and some internal pages may not work.

FAQ - International Services

New FAQ posted on July 30, 2013, are noted in orange. FAQ in black were submitted and answered prior to July 1, 2013, and remain here as archived items. For the most up-to-date information, visit the Center for International Faculty and Student Services website.

For legacy UMDNJ holders of an H-1B visa, will Rutgers submit a request to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) to transfer the visas to the Rutgers name?
It is not necessary for Rutgers to submit a new application on your behalf at this time. As per USCIS regulations, your H-1B status and work permission remain valid until the expiration date on the Form I-797. In the event that you need an extension of the H-1B status or if there are substantive changes to your current position, an application will be submitted to the USCIS under our new name. If you are planning on traveling outside the United States and need to apply for a new H-1B visa, be sure to contact Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences’ Office of International Services at 973-972-6138 for additional guidance.

I am a UMDNJ Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences alumnus with an Optional Practical Training-Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math (OPT-STEM) extension. I have the following questions regarding my status after UMDNJ-Rutgers integration:
1. Will I be issued a new I-20 from Rutgers?
2. If yes, do I have to submit the new I-20 to all the places that have my old I-20 information such as the Division of Motor Vehicles, my employer, Department of Homeland Security, Social Security Administration, etc.?
3. As a part of the OPT-STEM extension requirement, I am required to send my status update to the Office of International Services every six months. Who do I send the update to, and what form should I use for that?
4. After the integration, who should I contact when I need any help/assistance regarding my F1 visa, Optional Practical Training (OPT), or Employment Authorization Document?

1. Yes, we are currently in the process of issuing updated I-20s to all legacy UMDNJ F-1 students, including those on Post-Completion Practical Training and STEM extensions. You should receive your new I-20 within the next three to four weeks. Updated I-20s will be mailed to the address we have on record. If you have not done so, be sure to complete and submit the Address Update Form on the Office of International Services website to ensure that the Form I-20 is mailed to the correct address.
2. It is not necessary for you to submit an updated copy of the form I-20 to any of those agencies, unless they are requesting it for a specific purpose, such as renewal or replacement of documents.
3. You will continue to submit all updates through the Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) Office of International Services. The OPT Employment Update Form can be found on the Office of International Services website.
4. You should continue to direct all your questions and concerns to RBHS Office of International Services staff by calling 973-972-6138 or sending an email to

I’m an international student at UMDNJ in F-1 student status. Will my immigration status be affected by the integration? What do I need to do to maintain my F-1 student status?
We do not anticipate any impact on your legal status in the United States. UMDNJ and Rutgers are working closely with the United States Department of Homeland Security to update UMDNJ’s immigration-related records. This update requires no action on your part. After July 1, 2013, we anticipate that you will be issued a new Form I-20 indicating your program participation at Rutgers.

If you are traveling abroad and you already have a valid F-1 visa stamp in your passport, you do not need to apply for a re-entry visa to the United States. Your current visa will be valid for re-entry after July 1, 2013.

Please contact the Office of International Services if you have any additional questions.